Delivery & Shipping Policy for Sellers
Estimated delivery dates for sellers
Weekend and holiday deliveries
Weekends and holidays aren't included in estimated delivery dates, even though some carriers deliver on weekends.
A buyer may contact you if they specifically need a weekend delivery, or want a faster delivery option. If they're willing to pay any difference in cost, it's up to you whether to accept their request.
Shipping rates for sellers
Setting a Competitive Shipping Costs
Here are some tips for when you're setting up your shipping charges:
- Have a look to see what other sellers are charging to ship similar items
- Consider building the price of shipping into the item's price, so you can offer free shipping
- Use our shipping calculator to estimate how much it costs to send your item through various carriers
- Make sure you're allowing for packaging when checking the item's size and weight
- Decide whether you're going to ship internationally, or just within the US
- Think about whether you want to set a fixed shipping charge for all buyers, or use calculated shipping and charge buyers a cost that will vary based on their location
How shipping discounts work
You can offer shipping discounts to buyers who buy more than one item from you, but first, you need to opt into offer combined shipping. You can then set up rules that automatically apply to the shipping cost when someone buys multiple items.
Depending on whether you offer a flat shipping rate, or are using calculated shipping, these discounts work slightly differently.
Flat rate shipping rules
If you're offering a flat rate shipping cost, where all buyers pay the same amount, you can apply two different types of shipping rules:
- Add a fixed amount for each additional item purchased. For example, if the shipping cost on the first item is $5 you could choose to charge just $2 in shipping for each additional purchase
- Subtract an amount from the shipping charge for each additional item purchased. In the same example as above, you could choose to charge $1 less than the initial cost (i.e., $4) for each additional purchase
Calculated shipping rules
If you're offering a calculated shipping cost (where the amount a buyer pays varies based on their location), you can apply rules for combining items into a single package:
- Automatically combine the weights of all the items in one package. For example, if a buyer purchases 3 items that weigh 4 lb each, you can set up a rule that charges shipping for a single 12 lb package
- Automatically combine the weights of the items in one package and subtract a weight amount (in ounces). For example, if a buyer purchases 3 items that weigh 4 lb each, you can set up a rule that combines the items in one 12 lb package, and automatically deducts 16 oz from the total weight
Shipping Charge Increases
Once someone's bought your item, you can't update the shipping charges from what was originally shown on the listing unless the buyer wants to combine shipping for multiple items paid by PayPal, or asks for express delivery and is willing to pay for the service.
If a buyer is looking to upgrade their shipping, first, send the buyer a message and ask them not to pay until they receive a new invoice with updated shipping costs.
Packing tips for sellers
Here are some tips on packing your items:
- Choose a container that's slightly larger than your item, so you can cushion it with packing material on all sides
- Surround your item with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, foam, or paper – so there's no room for things to move around
- Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape, which should be at least 2 inches wide
- Don't use masking tape, cellophane tape, cord, string, or twine
- Tape the opening of the box and reinforce all seams and edges
- Clearly label the package and include a return address
- If you're reusing a box, cover any previous labels and cross out any previous addresses with a black marker
- The maximum shipping costs are determined based on what sellers are charging for shipping (according to recent transaction data) and what buyers say they consider reasonable.
Having a maximum shipping cost helps buyers find items with reasonable shipping and can help you sell more items.
Packing irregularly shaped items
Some things are a little more difficult to ship than others. Here are some ideas for packing irregularly shaped items:
- Metals – tape the address label directly to the item, and cover any sharp or protruding edges with cardboard
- Fabric and wallpaper – rolled goods travel best in corrugated boxes. If you ship a fabric roll in a bag, make sure it's tightly wrapped and taped to avoid tearing
- Tires – apply a wide band of pressure-sensitive tape through the center and completely around the body of the tire. Attach the address label to the tape band where it covers the tread, and cover with clear tape
Setting your delivery options
On the listing page, scroll down to the Shipping section. In Shipping Options, enter a fixed cost, the package weight, and dimensions. If you're not happy with the recommended shipping service, select Change shipping service to choose another option. Select the calculated rate, or if you'd like, choose the option to charge a fixed amount and enter the amount. You can also choose to offer free shipping and pay it yourself.